I was craving a cheese quesadilla yesterday and decided to throw together chicken quesadillas for dinner for a little more substance. This recipe is extremely easy but so delicious.
Chicken Quesadillas with Refried Beans
Makes 4 quesadillas
- salt and pepper
- 5 chicken breasts
- Whole wheat tortillas (pack of 8)
- 1 package of Mexican shredded cheese
- 1-2 cans of refried beans (depending on size of tortillas)
- sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
1) Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Rinse the chicken breasts and place them in the pot. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper. Let chicken cook for 30-35 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
2) While the chicken is cooking, assemble the tortillas. Use a knife or spoon to spread the refried beans onto the tortillas. I put a thin layer of refried beans on each tortilla, enough to cover the entire tortilla while leaving 1/2 – 1 inch towards the outer edges.
3) Add the Mexican cheese on top of the refried beans.
4) Once the chicken is cooked, remove from water and place in a medium sized bowl. Use two forks to pull apart the chicken, shredding it. Add the shredded chicken on top of each tortilla. Place another tortilla on top.
5) Spray a large pan with cooking spray and place assembled quesadilla onto the pan. Cook on medium-high heat until each side is slightly browned and the cheese has melted. (I used two pans to cook two quesadillas at once but you can also use one pan and cook one quesadilla after another. The first quesadilla will take the longest but once the pan is hot, the rest of the quesadillas will cook quickly.)
6) Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Add dollop of sour cream, guacamole or other desired toppings.